This Southern style shrimp and grits recipe is the perfect hearty breakfast for cold mornings or makes a great breakfast for dinner.
If you're looking for an easy and delicious shrimp and grits recipe, you'll come to the right place.
Southern comfort food at its best! This shrimp and grits recipe is perfect for a special weekend breakfast or brunch or even a quick weeknight meal.
Our shrimp and grits recipe is sure to please your taste buds. You'll love the cheesy shrimp and grits.
Southern Shrimp & Grits
You'll find this shrimp and grits super flavorful. The shrimp is cooked in bacon grease with minced garlic and chopped green onions, and served over cooked grits.
Top with grated cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon. It's so good, you'll want to make it again and again!
If you love shrimp or cheese grits, this is the perfect recipe for you.
Shrimp and grits is a classic Southern dish that originated in South Carolina.
How to Peel and Devein Shrimp?
You'll want to make sure to clean and devein your shrimp before you start cooking with it, unless they already came deveined.
In order to peel shrimp, pull the shell off starting at the shrimp's feet.
To devein, you just need a small sharp knife. Make a small cut on the back of the shrimp to expose the dark "vein". Pull out the vein and make sure to rinse off the shrimp.
What do grits taste like?
Grits have a very mellow/mild corn flavor. They pick up flavors easily and using flavored cooking water is a great way for the grits to soak up flavor.
Here are some tips to make the best shrimp and grits.
- To prevent your shrimp from becoming rubbery, make sure not to overcook them. The small shrimps cook faster than the larger shrimp. If you think it might be done, you can sample to make sure the texture is right.
- Make sure to cook your shrimp all the way through to prevent it from being mushy with a really soft texture.
- For a lighter meal, you can omit the bacon. Although you will lose some of the flavor.
- This dish is best served fresh.
Shrimp and grits is best eaten fresh. If you end up with leftovers, you can store it for later.
Make sure to store the shrimp and grits in separate airtight containers in your fridge. These won't store long, so make sure to eat them within a day or so.
- chicken broth
- whole milk
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese, optional
- shrimp, peeled and deveined
- bacon, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- chicken broth
- green onion
- garlic, minced
How to Make Shrimp and Grits Recipe
Step 1: Cook grits first. Bring chicken stock and milk to a low boil over medium high heat in a medium saucepan.
Step 2: Once you begin to see bubbles forming, add in the butter and whisk in the grits.
Step 3: Give it a good mix, reduce heat to low and cover. The grits will need to cook about 20 mins stirring every 5 mins to ensure they are cooking evenly and do not burn.
Step 4: In a large skillet or pan fry bacon until golden and crispy. Remove and drain on a paper towel lined plate.
Step 5: Pour off bacon fat, reserving 2 tbsp in the pan. Add in minced garlic, green onions (reserving some for garnish) and shrimp.
Step 6: Add in ½ cup chicken broth and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until shrimp turns pink and are fully cooked.
Step 7: Taste the grits and add salt and pepper and cheese if you’d like.
To Serve: Serve immediately, add grits to a bowl, spoon cooked shrimp over the top and sprinkle crumbled bacon. If you like, you can dribble some hot sauce over it.
Shrimp and Grits
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup grits
- 3-4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese optional
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 large clove garlic minced
- Bring chicken stock and milk to a low boil over medium high heat in a medium sized pot.
- Once you begin to see bubbles forming add in the butter and whisk in the grits.
- Give it a good mix, reduce the heat to low and cover.
- The grits will need to cook about 20 mins stirring ever 5 mins to ensure they are cooking evenly and do not burn.
- In a pan fry bacon until golden and crispy.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Pour off grease, reserving 2 tbsp in the pan.
- Add in minced garlic, green onions (reserving some for garnish) and shrimp.
- Add in ½ cup chicken broth and Season with a pinch of salt and pepper
- Cool until shrimp until turn pink and are fully done.
- Taste the grits and add salt and pepper and cheese if you’d like.
- Serve by adding grits to a bowl, top with shrimp and crumbled bacon.
Other delicious breakfast recipes: