There's nothing like eating fresh baked, soft chocolate chip cookies right out of the oven. You'll love how easy this soft chocolate chip cookie recipe is to bake and how delicious they are to eat.
There is something so classic about soft chocolate chip cookies right out of the oven. When you think about it, you can almost taste the sugary sweet flavor of the dough and the gooey-ness of the chocolate chips.
These soft chocolate chip cookies are just like the ones from your memories....soft, gooey, and so delicious!
How to store soft chocolate chip cookies?
Make sure to store you soft chocolate chip cookies in an air tight container. They don't need to be refrigerated.
How long do chocolate chip cookies last?
You can store these soft chocolate chip cookies in an air tight container at room temperature up to about a week. If they are in a container that isn't air tight, they will still be good, just won't be soft and chewy any longer.
Can you freeze chocolate chip cookie dough?
Yes, you can feeze chocolate chip cookie dough to bake for later. This makes it really easy to just bake a few cookies at a time with very little mess or prep work.
To freeze cookie dough, I like to freeze cookie dough balls on a baking sheet over night and then put them into a freezer bag. They will last up to 6 months in the freezer.
What can I use instead of chocolate chips?
If you don't have access to chocolate chip or maybe you just don't like chocolate chips, there are all sorts of substitutions you can use. Here are some
- butterscotch chips
- chocolate chunks from a chopped chocolate bar
- vanilla chocolate chips
- small marshmallows
- hard candy bar chunks - think heath bar
- peanut butter chips
- unsalted butter, softened
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- large eggs at room temperature
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- either semi sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips
- mixing bowl
- baking sheet
- parchment paper, optional
- cookie dough baller or teaspoon
- hand or stand mixer
How to Make Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350°F
Step 2: Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat
Step 3: In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and salt
Step 4: In a large bowl, cream together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until fluffy
Step 5: Add eggs and vanilla extract and mix until well combined
Step 6: Gradually add flour mixture and mix until combined. Don't overmix though
Step 7: Fold in chocolate chips until well combined
Step 8 : Divide cookie dough batter using a cookie dough scoop or tablespoon and place cookie dough balls on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart
Step 9: Bake for 8-10 minutes for soft cookies, longer for crispy
Step 10: Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool
Make sure to store any extra chocolate chip cookies in an airtight container.
Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 bag 12 ounce chocolate chips, semi-sweet or milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture and mix until combined. Don’t overmix though.
- Fold in chocolate chips until well combined.
- Divide batter using a cookie dough scoop or tablespoon and place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes for soft cookies, longer for crispy.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.
- Store in airtight container.